Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Favorite Butternut Squash Soup Recipes




We had 26 butternut squash from our garden this year, so I was on a hunt for good recipes. I'm including my 3 favorite soups, at least for now...I'm sure I'll find more. All three of these soups taste yummy in a super easy bread bowl recipe I found that came along with one of the soup recipes. The first recipe was from a friend from church, and is fairly simple but good. I increase the amount of sherry, cream, and garlic from her original recipe.

Butternut Squash Soup (serves 4 to 6)

Ingredients

3 tbs. butter
2 tbs. olive oil
1cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
2 to 2 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seaded and cut into cubes
1/4 cup sherry
4 cups chicken broth
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 oz. pancetta chopped
1/2 cup cream
salt and pepper

Instructions

Melt the butter and olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sage and saute one minute. Add squash cubes and saute 5 minutes. Add the sherry, broth, and cayenne pepper. Cover and simmer on low for about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, fry the pancetta in a little skillet until nicely crisped. Drain on a paper towel.

Puree soup, either with an immersion blender right in the pot, or transfer to a food processor or blender. Return to pot and stir in cream. season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls with pancetta on top. I have this soup pictured above in bread bowls. Yummy!!!


The next recipe is a wonderful curry recipe that included the super easy bread bowls. My guests loved this recipe!

Curried Butternut Squash Broccoli, Cheddar, Goat Cheese Soup

http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/curried-butternut-squash-broccoli-cheddar-goat-cheese-soup/


Here is the recipe for the bread bowls I've been raving about. I hate baking, but these are so ridiculously easy and good, I've made them a couple of times already.

Super Easy No Knead Bread Bowls

http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/super-easy-crusty-knead-pumpkin-bread-bowls

This is the final recipe that I've included by Emril Lagasse. It reminds me a bit of corn chowder in butternut squash form.

Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash, and Wild Rice Soup 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/smoked-sausage-butternut-squash-and-wild-rice-soup-3645132 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment