Pages

Friday, April 2, 2021

French Canadian Split Pea Soup

 



With Easter coming upon us, it's always nice to have a good split pea soup recipe on hand to make use of that left over Easter ham. This is a recipe shared with me by my sister Gina with a few changes. I've tried a number of different recipes over the years but this is my favorite. I think I especially like it because it isn't quite as thick as some I've tried in the past, and the flavor is delicious. Enjoy!

 

Ingredients

1 pound dry green split peas
1 meaty ham bone
1 cup chopped onion
(optional) small bundle of fresh thyme
1 generous teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup chopped celery 
2 slices of bacon
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter

Directions

Rinse peas. In kettle mix peas, ham bone, onion, Better Than Bouillon, salt, pepper, thyme bundle, and 8 cups of water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1&1/2 hours, stirring often. 
Remove ham bone and chop meat. Return meat to soup, add carrots and celery. Simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Cook bacon till crisp, drain and crumble. Stir bacon, cream, and butter into soup, heat through. Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment