Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Zucchini Crust Pizza

This is one of my favorite zucchini recipes to date. I love the flavor and the fact that it makes use of our fresh tomatoes, zucchini, and my herbs. You can definitely make this without fresh herbs, but I absolutely love oregano and basil fresh from the garden.
Fresh, Healthy, and Tasty!


I've adapted this recipe from taste of home. I changed some of the ingredients and added some of my own.

Ingredients:
3 cups shredded zucchini
3 eggs, well beaten
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tbs. fresh chopped oregano or 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (divided)
1 tbs. fresh chopped basil or 1tsp. dried basil (divided)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sliced ripe olives
1/3 to 1/2 cup red onion chopped (could also use 2/3 cup green onions with tops)
1/2 cup either yellow, orange or red bell pepper (original recipe called for green pepper)
2 cups (8ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I probably use more, I cover the pizza to my taste)
 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 to 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced. (I substituted some cherry tomatoes from our garden for some of the pizza)


Directions
Press excess liquid from zucchini and place in a bowl (I squeeze the water out a handful at a time to get most out possible). Add eggs, flour, 1 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tbs. fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil, and salt; mix well.
Add caption






Spread evenly over bottom of a greased 12" pizza pan. Bake at 450 deg. for 10 to 15 mins. check after 10 mins. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350 deg.





Sprinkle zucchini crust with olives, onion, yellow bell pepper or pepper of your choice.


Add mozzarella,  Parmesan cheeses, sliced tomatoes, and remaining oregano and basil.


Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. I sprinkled a little kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper on the top before eating.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment