Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Discount Entertaining



I was looking online for a recipe that would make use of my Aldi Cornish Hens ($2.69each) and my home grown sage, and found a recipe that looked awesome and made use of everything I already had in the house...was very happy with the outcome!  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Herb-Stuffed-Roasted-Cornish-Hens
 The recipe calls for 12 leaves of sage, but it doesn't match up with the directions. I put 2 leaves of sage under the skin of each of the 2 breasts' of the hens. I added 2 leaves of sage cut in half into each of the cavities of the hens along with the lemon wedges and onions. I chopped up another couple of leaves and added them to the butter, oil, and garlic that the hen is basted with. The recipe includes red potatoes that are roasted along with the hens *The potatoes turn out better if you put them in 15 minutes into cook time, or the full length of cooking time with the hens. I sauteed left over veggies and fresh from the garden produce I already had in the frig. to go with the meal.








Wine glass, flatware, candelabra, and dishes are from Tuesday Morning (acquired over many years at very discounted prices.)...even the candles are from TJMaxx. The tablecloth is a find from an antique mall in Stillwater, MN. It takes a bit of time and the love of the hunt, but if you have an idea of what you're looking for, it's an adventure well worth taking and worth the savings.





No comments:

Post a Comment