Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Dutch Apple Pie


 I love to cook but I'm not too keen on baking. I will make the effort when making my mom's Dutch Apple Pie because it's one of my favorite desserts. I have to say, using an "apple peeler, corer, slicer" sure makes the process easier.




I would have to rank this pie as my all time favorite, I love the crumbled topping. My mom made her own pie crust, and would take the extra crust, role it out, and sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon and bake it along with the pie for an extra treat. I must admit that I no longer make my crust from scratch.




 *I use Pillsbury's crust, but role it out thinner between floured waxed paper.



Ingredients:

*One pie crust, homemade or store bought
7 to 8 apples (I usually use more because of the size of the pan I use)
3 Tbs. butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping 
3/4 cup of flour
1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
1/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)  
1/3 cup butter (somewhat softened)

preheat oven to 450 degrees
*Prepare pie crust, peel and slice apples to fill the pan. Dot with 3 Tbs. butter. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp.cinnamon. 








Prepare topping by combining topping ingredients using a pastry cutter if available, otherwise use a fork. You can also use a food processor, but I'd rather not have the hassle of getting it out and washing it later.






Sprinkle topping over pie and place in the oven at 450 degrees for the first 20 mins., and 325 degrees for the remaining 30 minutes. Allow to cool for about an hour before cutting and serving.






 This pie just isn't the same unless it is warmed and topped off with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream! Deeeeeelicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment