Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Summer Squash Soup With Lemon and Basil

When the hordes of summer squash start coming in, I love to use some to make this soup and freeze it to use in the winter months. If you freeze your soup, wait to add the whipping cream until you heat it up after pulling it out of the freezer. This is a recipe I have adapted from Curtis Aikens, and it's delicious! You can go healthy with it or add whipping cream as I like to do.

Ingredients
2 Tbs. olive oil (I sometimes use garlic olive oil)
1 1/2 pounds crookneck, zucchini, or pattypan squash, roughly chopped (I prefer yellow squash)
1 large onion, chopped (I sometimes also add a shallot)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
6 cups chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon)
1/2 cup julienned fresh basil (firmly packed)
1 1/2 Tbs. butter, softened      I like my soup thicker, especially when adding cream. I use 3 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 Tbs. flour                        and 4 to 5 Tbs. flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Juice of 1 whole lemon 
I add a half to a whole cup of whipping cream
I also like to add some fresh corn when I have it on hand, (Adding steamed asparagus pieces is awesome!) I also like to sprinkle fresh Parmesan on top.


Directions
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot, add squash and onion. Saute on medium heat for 5 mins. or until onions are translucent and squash is tender, then add garlic and cook an additional minute. 



 Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 25 mins. Add basil in the last 5 mins. Mix butter and flour into a paste. Remove 1 cup of simmering broth and whisk in butter mixture until smooth.  Add back to soup and heat and stir until thickened. Remove soup from heat to a blender and puree till smooth. I use a hand blender because it's so much easier.

 Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Add whipping cream, and cooked fresh corn if you have some on hand. Steamed pieces of asparagus added is my favorite to date! I'm going to add some chicken breast next time.Top with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment