Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Low Cal Creamy Avocado-Cilantro Dressing


My sister gave me some Kefir she couldn't make use of, so I decided to make salad dressing from it since I've had Kefir dressings from the grocery store in the past. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how tasty and easy it is to make for something that has to be so low cal. The Kefir I used was 1%, which is only 120 calories a cup. So if I'm using 3 Tbs. of dressing that only has a little olive oil in it, the dressing has to be no more than 65 calories a serving. I think I'll be making my own dressings from now on. I can't wait to experiment with other ingredients.


Ingredients

1 1/2 cup 1% Kefir (can be found at health food stores like Whole Foods...)
1 ripe avocado
1/3 to 1/2 cups chopped fresh Cilantro (to taste)
3 Tbs. olive oil (I used Bertolli Extra Light, which is 120 calories a Tbs.)
1 or 2 cloves minced garlic (I used 2 because I'm a garlic lover)
Juice of half a lime
2 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt


 Directions

Place all ingredients in a blender or use an immersion blender to combine until smooth and well blended. The dressing should be good until the expiration date of the Kefir. 

This dressing was delicious with a salad of mixed greens, shrimp, avocado, green onions, yellow bell pepper, mush, pine nuts, and fresh shredded Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment