Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Seafood Stew





I saw Michael Symon make this dish on Live with Kelly and Michael, and decided to try it. I loved it and have made it several times since, but was unable to pin it to share with others because there was no picture to go with the recipe. It's not difficult to make, and then there is the fun part where you get to set the dish on fire! :) Symon mentioned that it's important to use San Marzano tomatoes for their taste because they are sweeter, less bitter, and have less seeds. I loved the flavor of the tomatoes and have started using them in other dishes that call for tomatoes. I used some fun pasta I found at World Market to go with the stew.
INGREDIENTS:
2 tbl olive oil

6 to10 scallops (drypack)

10 to16 shrimp shell on deveined (I used 1 lb. of shrimp that were shelled and deveined.)

1lb. calamari (I did not include this...maybe next time)

1lb. mussels (I used 6 mussels so we could all try it.)

2 cloves sliced garlic

4 sliced scallions

½ cup chopped parsley                                                          
½ tsp chile flake
                                                                      
2 oz Sambuca (I bought this Italian Anise flavored liqueur in a mini bottle to save on buying something I wouldn't use often.)

16 oz San Marzano tomatoes (chopped)           

10 oz. stock (I used fish stock)
1 pinch saffron
zest of 1 orange

¼ tsp ground coriander

salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Season shrimp liberally with salt. In large pan heat olive oil over medium high heat

Add shrimp and scallops and sear for 1 minute

Flip and add mussels and garlic

Add sambuca and flame (This is the fun part!)

Add stock, tomatoes, pepper flakes, coriander and saffron, then bring to simmer.

When mussels open add calamari, parsley and zest. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment