Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Cooking With Garden Fresh Herbs




L to R Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Oregano








Love using garden fresh herbs in my cooking. The 5 herbs above are some of my favorites! The general rule of thumb for using fresh versus dried herbs is to use 3 parts fresh herbs to every one part dried herb. In dishes that call for Italian seasoning I combine in descending order: Oregano, Basil, Thyme, and a little bit of cracked Rosemary.
It's important to rinse your herbs thoroughly, but they can tend to retain too much water after being cleaned so I put them in my salad spinner to get rid of the excess water.
It is so economical to grow your own herbs versus purchasing fresh herbs from the market. I have had good luck the past few years purchasing my herbs from our local Home Depot, they have been healthy and reasonably priced. I plant my herbs right out side my door for easy access when cooking. I like to grow triple the amount of basil because I tend to use it in so many dishes, and I love to make basil pesto and freeze it for use over the winter months. 
My next few posts will include recipes that make use of these herbs. If you haven't already tried fresh herbs in your cooking, you'll be amazed at what a difference they make in the flavor of your favorite dishes!!!

Some of the uses for different types of fresh herbs:

Sage- excellent with poultry, (Place under the skin of chicken or Cornish hens, along with some in the cavity of the poultry.) used in stuffing and soups

Basil- wonderful used in pesto, excellent when paired with fresh tomatoes or sauteed fresh vegetables, a perfect herb for any homemade tomato sauces, topping for pizza, and great in soups

Rosemary- an awesome addition to lamb and steak,  great for seasoning oven roasted red potatoes, can be used to season butternut squash...

Thyme- I love to use thyme in homemade chicken soup, it works well with any poultry or red meats, when used along with garlic it makes an excellent seasoning for sauteed mushrooms, wonderful in sauces

Oregano- perfect for any Italian dishes, pizza, tomato sauces, used to spice up pork or beef 

Cilantroused in Mexican and Chinese dishes as a garnish, and in pico de gallo 

Parsley- used as a garnish and in many soups and sauces 

No comments:

Post a Comment